Hi, I'm Brenna. Follow me as I follow my Savior into the arms of the broken. It's truly satisfying to be part of something bigger than myself.

Monday, October 1, 2012

ONE year ago.

My, oh my. How the last year has changed!
A year ago I was in Bellingham, and I had NO idea that a short year later, this place would be my home, my love, and my place of incredible ministry. I stumbled upon my application to Western, and thought it'd be fun to share. I spoke of the grace of Jesus on my life while in Africa, and now I see even more how much grace he has bestowed upon my little life here today!

I am not your average twenty year old girl. I became aware of this when I found myself standing in the middle of one of the worlds most devastating slums, called Kroobay in Sierra Leone. Just a month before this time, I was working at a bank, spending time with my boyfriend and going out with my best friends. How had my life taken a complete turn so fast? The poverty knocked the wind out of me. To my right was a river, which served as a laundromat for young mothers, a bathtub for children, and a resting place for pigs. To my left was nearly 10,000 homes made of tin and blankets, and more hunger, abuse and uncertainty than I was ready to face. I started to question what I had stood for. My life was utterly drenched in selfishness. I had heard about the needs of the world, but i was too gripped by own wealth to really pay attention. That was, until now. 

The orphans of the slum, covered in disease and filth, rushed over to me, begging for someone to love them. I picked them up and held them, not even realizing the impact they were about to have on my life. Through various translators, the kids talked to me about the joy that they strived for each day. They talked of having faith that they can overcome their situations, and although their parents had abandoned them, and they didn't have money or any where to go, they knew they were loved.  I held back tears as I looked into their brown eyes and realized that all the worlds riches could not replace this moment. Here were these kids, so desperately longing for something outside of their circumstances. I hadn't a dime to give to them, but even then, they smiled at me and lavished with me their love. I came face to face, for the first time in my life, with the fact that there is more to life than just going through the motions. I didn't know what I was in for, but i was ready. I had applied for many colleges all of my Senior year, but couldn't shake the feeling that my work in Africa wasn't done, and so a year later, that is where I found myself. I was reminded of what it meant to lay down my life for something greater than my own desires. 

I was completely broke, completely vulnerable, yet completely ready to see change made, so i landed myself in the villages of Togo in West Africa for six months. Images of my time in Sierra Leone resinated through my memory as I walked through the villages of Noepe. Kids once again grabbed my hands, eager to teach me more about what it means to love with abandon. I saw communities starting to flourish  as i dove myself into healthcare facilities, schools, and orphanages. Despite riches, there was joy. Despite homes, there was a blanket of peace. My heart was starting to soften to the calling on my life. I had seen too much to ignore the resposibility I had; that was to stand for change, to fight against poverty and to rid of injustice. I had been drenched in grace that i didn't even deserve. I knew at the end of my time in Africa I would go home to a loving family and amazing community, and my desire to see change wasn't just for Africa. My eyes opened to the changes i long to see in my hometown. My passion for people and for love was sparked and i longed to run after them in order to see my dreams through. I am realizing more and more that my life is not my own, and by letting go of the reigns just a little, i was able to experience the overflowing peace of what it meant to serve, to feel love, and to be love.  


God is the coolest person I know. So glad I can call Bellingham home.